Search

Custom Search

Saturday, December 18, 2010

13 Beers of Festivus Day 4: Flying Fish Exit 13 Imperial Chocolate Stout

Exit 13 Chocolate Stout
Flying Fish Brewing Co., Cherry Hill, NJ
Foreign Stout
7.5% ABV
BA: A-
RB: NR
Consumed at friend's house in snifter, available at Beekman's Wine for $9.11

     First I'll apologize for not taking a picture while I was drinking this beer.  If I have another one at some point I'll edit the post and add a picture.  The beer poured out the darkest black I've ever seen from a beer.  It was also thick like syrup and as I consumed the beer, it left a film on the glass like chocolate syrup.  There was a large fluffy, foamy head that barely dissipated as I drank this.  It really had a light chocolate smell and even lighter chocolate taste.  As it warmed up slightly more chocolate came through but it was mostly in the aftertaste.  I tasted more of the roasted malt and caramel flavors that are usually associated with a stout but I was left disappointed with the lack of real chocolate flavor.  I'm happy I tasted this before I taste any of the renowned chocolate beers, such as Southern Tier Choklat.  Reviews of those beers have praised the overall chocolatey flavor and therefore I'm glad I didn't have those first, otherwise this beer might get a 1 pint rating.  
    Overall I found the beer very drinkable for 7.5% ABV.  Had I not been a collector of the bottles, I probably would not have bough this beer.  The previous exits have been fairly good, but this one leaves me with the same feeling I have when I drive down the Turnpike on a summer weekend, anticipation and frustration.  If you're with a friend who has a bottle then by all means drink up, but its not worth the $9-10 if you're just curious.  I will remind you that taste is a personal thing and everyone's taste buds are different.  The Exit Series is a fun little novelty that gained the brewery a nice little bit of press when it started, but this one just isn't worth the hype.  I'm going to have to give this 2.5 pints out of 5 with a possibly half point boost only because I wasn't the one that paid for this and my friend let me keep the empty for my collection.  


No comments:

Post a Comment